Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Free Therapy






Sewing is like therapy to me.  When I get the urge, I sit down to my machine and get creative.  I can sit there and sew for hours and not worry about anything else, except maybe chocolate and a cup of coffee.  Of course, these days I can’t get anything done around here without being interrupted by little people about 50 times an hour.  But that’s okay, that’s what I love about my life, the little people in it.  It’s also like therapy because I spend time praying and worshipping. I always have worship music on while I sew.  It may sound weird, but when I’m really yearning for an answer from the Lord, sometimes reading the word isn’t enough.  Sometimes I hear more from Him when I’m not trying to listen, and a lot of those times, I’m sewing.

Since the fire, I’ve had to make some things (I like to use the word “had” because it makes me feel a little less guilty, I guess). I have never been one to spend money on things that I can make myself, nothing has changed.  Even though we had the opportunity to replace a lot of our things, I am still my thrifty, creative self.  One of the first things I purchased for myself after the fire was my sewing machine.  I just got a cheap Singer sewing machine (one you can get at most major retailers), but I love it just fine. It’s like the one I lost and I know how to work it, and let’s face it—it’s not like I’m running a sweat shop around here.  So, the good ol’ (and relatively new) Singer does the job. 

I used to sit in my Grammy’s sewing room in the summertime and watch her sew.  I was amazed at how easy it looked.  One year, my cousin Brie and I stayed several weeks. Grammy gave us some material from some dresses she had made us when we were younger.  We hand sewed some quilt squares and I remember thinking “why is this so hard? This looks so easy!”  Pretty soon, I got the itch for learning to sew.  My mom taught me a lot then, and I continued learning on my own.  Recently, I’ve learned some new tricks through pinterest and blogging.  Every now and then, I think I’ll start posting some of the projects I do on here.  Maybe I’ll even have some tutorials. We will see. 

The next things on my plate to sew are some new pillow slip covers for our couches, and a valance for the kid’s bedroom, as well as a cushion for the bench in their room.  I hope one day I can teach Caroline how to sew one day.  Until then, I’ll just use it as therapy. Hmmm… maybe I’ll go sew something right now!  Or… Maybe I’ll just go fold some laundry.  What do you do to escape?  Do you have any fun hobbies?

No comments:

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...