Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love and Lies

I received this photo in an email from my mom and laughed.  Then I got to really thinking about it.  Although it may seem funny, most of these are lies.  Not just any lies, lies from the enemy.

I struggled for years with my self-esteem.  My self-value was extremely low.  My weight has always been a roller coaster and let's face it, this world is just mean!  Girls (and even women) can be so very harsh when it comes to comparing themselves to others. Girls just say mean things.  They take things that may seem insignificant and blow it way out of proportion, make up lies about you, and focus on your TINY problems.  So often those are the exact problems or imperfections that you may be struggling with at the moment. Not to mention, all the magazines and "reality" shows, and movies that give every girl this False hope, and Fantasy about what one should look like, be like, act like, etc.

Anyway, I never felt like I was going to measure up to this worlds standards.  I was well into my adult life when I realized that was a lie.  Everything I thought about myself was a lie.  My parents, pastors, friends, and mentors always told me all the great things about myself .  That was great, but I never believed them.  In fact, the sick thing is that I told other girls the truth God had for them, and the promises he has for us, and how valuable they were, but didn't accept it for myself!  It wasn't until I believed the truth about myself that I was healed.  

This is a fallen world we live in. The truth is we will never measure up to "their" standards.  in Romans 3:4 it says "Let God be true, and every man a liar".  Valentine's day is often a day of sadness for single girls all over this country.  They start to believe the lies again.  They start to think that they aren't good enough, or won't measure up.  They believe they aren't beautiful enough, or skinny enough, or talented, or smart enough.  These are all lies!  Here are the facts girls...

The Lord tells us in his word... 

 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. 
Psalm 139:13-14

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  
1John 3:1

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.
Ephesian 2:10 
 
 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.
Ephesian 1:4
 
 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.
Colossians 3:2 
 
When I decided to believe the truth that God had for me, I was healed. If you are struggling with self-value in anyway, or feel unloved this Valentines day, here is the truth for you. 
 
YOU ARE LOVED!
 
YOU HAVE PURPOSE!

YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!
 
YOU ARE WORTHY!
 
YOU ARE WORTH IT!

 We love him, because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else.  He can fill your heart with all the love you could ever want or need.  He will satisfy you like the morning dew on the dry land.  He cares for you and he wants you to care for you!  So, this Valentines day I want to encourage you. 

Before all the roses and chocolates and couples make you sick to your stomach, Thank God for what he has given you.  Buy yourself a chocolate candy bar and enjoy every bite!  Spend time in His word and really soak it in.  Hold tight to the promises He has given you.  And maybe most important of all, focus on the TRUTH!  Don't believe the trash the world gives you!  He has a plan for your life, and you are SO VERY LOVED!

********
My friend Sheri Yates has developed a Truth or Trash Ap for your iphone to help you distinguish between the lies of the enemy and the truth that comes from Him. Learn more about it here! Get it here!

No comments:

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...