Thursday, October 22, 2009

50/50 chance of remission

I went in today to see the Hematologist and get my labs drawn. My platelet count was up to 300,000-which is normal! Praise the Lord! I asked lots of questions, and he was very good at helping me understand ITP. There is no known cause of this disease. People just get it-like cancer, or diabetes... some things we just don't understand. I'm not sure why I got tagged, we will likely never know. However, there is a 50% chance that I can go into full remission and never get low platelets again. There is also a 50% chance that as they wean me off of the steroids, my counts go down. In this case they may have to remove my spleen and put me on meds. The doctor will start weaning me off of steroids (a little less every week, starting next week). I will go in for blood work every Thursday to check my counts. We will know more on November 12th, whether or not I will need any additional treatments. I'm giving you all this detail so you can know what to pray for.

We are praying for God's ultimate and complete healing. My immune system is not normal yet, and the steroids make me extra susceptible to catching illnesses. I will need to stay away from crowds for a while. We are praying that God keeps all illness away from our home. We covet your prayers. Thank you for the outpouring of love and support by prayers, flowers, visits, and meals. Thank you for loving our family!

Also, I just want to thank our parents, family, and my husband for taking care of everything when I was in the hospital. Thank you for everything from encouragement to taking care of my kiddos and my home (including laundry and cleaning). Tony, you are such an amazing husband and father. Without you, I would have fallen apart. I love you all!

2 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

Hurray for counts going up! Praying you'll be protected from all the yucky stuff going around right now. Thanks for the update!

Kristyn said...

I'm so glad that things are getting better!!! I will be praying for you. I know that God will heal you. We have an amazing God and He can do amazing things. I hope that things will be in your favor. I'm also glad that you've had so much help. I wish that I was there to help you also. Love ya girl!!

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...