Monday, January 21, 2013

Too Busy?

Busy.  I hate that word.  Seems like everyone is busy these days. 

bus·y  

/ˈbizē/
Adjective:
Having a great deal to do.

We are very busy.  One of my daily goals is to cut out things that aren't important so I can have margin in my day to do more things I LOVE to do.  More time crafting, more time playing or reading with my kids, more time taking photos.  Most importantly, I want to spend more time Encouraging others, more time writing, and more time in God's word.

I have always been one who has used devotional books, or study guides when reading the Bible.  Lately, I have enjoyed just picking up the bible and reading.  I love really focusing on the words and the structure of the sentences.  Have you ever been able to read a verse 3 times and get something else out of it each time?  I have, and I love it!  It's so amazing to me, that when I truly focus on what I'm reading and meditate on it, it gets applied to my day in such deeper way.  So many mommy friends of mine ask me all the time, "When do you have time to read your bible? I don't even have time to wash my hair, I don't have time to read my bible!"

That's okay.  Here is something that I have learned in the last 6 years of my life. Being a mom, pastors wife, homemaker, business woman, crafter, etc. isn't easy on it's own, and adding in structured time for reading isn't easy either.  The times I can put my focus on HIM throughout my day, things are so much easier.  That may not mean I have an hour to read my bible each morning before my kids wake up (most days I don't).  It may mean that I play youversion on the iPod speakers, or from my computer. Did you know there is a feature on youversion that has someone read it to you? That's right, you can be doing the dishes or folding laundry while listening to the Bible at the same time! It may mean that I can't read my bible at all , but I can put on worship music.

One of the things we do in our house every day, no matter what we may be doing, is play worship music.  It may be while I'm sweeping the floor and doing household chores or making lunch or while I'm catching up on email.  Whatever I may be doing, the Lord's presence is there and I feel it.  For all you busy mommies out there, play your favorite worship music in your home.  It usually soothes a fussy baby, or toddler, too!  And don't be so darn hard on yourselves! 

Busy- we all are.  Make time for what is important to you.  Make time for things that matter.  Turn off Gossip Girl, get off Facebook, and open your Bible (or hit play on your youversion app).  You'll be glad you did!  You may even be surprised at how much more  time you end up having in your day!  It's one of God's little miracles.



No comments:

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...