Sunday, May 17, 2009

Where was our Good Samaritan?

(not his actual bike)



Tony has been riding his bike around Lake Hefner for the last couple weeks. It's 10 miles round trip, and I am so proud of him! His bicycle is just an Ocean Pacific beach cruiser bicycle. It is a cheap bike, with no gears-which makes it much more difficult. We have been praying that God would provide another decent bike (and kid trailer) for us so that I can ride, as well. Today after church, I took the kids home and he stayed to ride around the Lake. He was going to make TWO laps today! He normally rides with another one of the pastor's at our church, but was going alone today. I prayed for him on the way home, with a sick feeling in my stomach. Little did I know that the Holy Spirit was warning me that something bad was going to happen. He was almost at the half way point, and the chain came off his bike when he was at full speed. Unfortunately he was at an intersection where Cars pass. He ended up in the middle of the street....


He struggled to get up off the pavement and drag himself and his bike to the grass. He sat down in the grass dazed for a while, trying to gather himself. With no phone on him, he turned his bicycle upside down and tried to re-connect the chain. He was praying and pleading, "Lord, help me get this chain back on this bike". He got the chain back on and with one horrible wobbly tire, he inched his way back to the church parking lot, where he started his journey.


First of all, He is OKAY. He jammed (hopefully did not break) his toe, and pulled his toenail off, even with his shoes on. He bruised his side, and got really shook up.


I am really writing this because I am so angry. I am sickened and angry at all of those MANY people at the Lake today, walking and riding their bikes, the people on the street that saw Tony fall, even those that may have been in their cars. All of those people... and not ONE person stopped to offer help, or even ask if Tony was alright. It makes me literally SICK to my stomach that people could witness that and not even flinch. Every one's own agenda's were too important to help someone in need. He sat in the grass for over 30 minutes, injured, trying to put on his bicycle chain, and not ONE person stopped to ask if he needed help. It was quite obvious that his bike was broken. The other thing that sickens me is just when we stop our gym membership to work out in "our own (free)means" this happens.


If you were out there on Lake Hefner today and saw my wonderful husband, I forgive you. However, I think we ALL need to look out for others in need. How would Christ have reacted in this situation? Would he have just passed by? Where was Tony's "good Samaritan" today(As in Luke chapter 10:25-37)? We can still see God in the storm, and the bad things. We know Lord, that you will provide bicycles for us to continue getting healthy together.


I encourage all of you readers to look out for others in need- those on the side of the road that need help. I am writing this so that others may consider how they can be "good Samaritans" to people on the side of the road today (even if it's not in literal sense, side of the road). If you see someone on the side of the road, don't' assume that someone else will help them. DO YOUR PART, and be a good Samaritan to others in need.

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

I am so sorry that this happened to Tony!!! I am glad though that he's alright. I can't believe that no one helped him either!! That's nuts!!! I hope you all are doing good.

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...