Monday, June 22, 2020

In His Shadow

The past 15 weeks, we have been under "Stay At Home" advice from our government.  State, City, and County officials have all told us that Shelter In Place is best for us.  Face Masks are required here in our city to go anywhere.  Stores are making sure people social distance.  We finished up the School semester at home.  Summer is different than we've ever experienced. Our life is not normal, but there is hope.

The bible tells us in Psalm 91 that "Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest in the shadow of the Almighty".  

This brought a specific visual to mind. 

 The day was Halloween 2019. We were trick-or-treating with friends in a neighborhood a couple blocks away. This neighborhood is a giant circle and they block the street off every year for trick-or-treaters. Most are families with little kids, but intertwined are teenagers and adults with scary costumes.  I had the wagon, and Paxton (my youngest) was in it most of the time. I got him out to walk up the driveway of this large house that was lit-up well.  I was walking right behind him, smiling and giggling at his excitement to get free candy. He wasn't quite 2 years old and everything in the world was exciting and fun to him. He had no fear of danger at all.  

As we got closer, what I thought was a "scarecrow" was actually a person dressed up and standing still to scare kids that came up to the house.  Pax turned around and immediately grabbed my right leg and while he held on for dear life, we kept walking to get candy.  He walked in my "shadow" and held on tightly because he knew he would be safe with me. 

We grabbed his candy and he turned around and reached up and said "Hold You".  He had his candy and was done with the "scaries".  He never questioned for one second that he would be safe with me. I am his Mommy. He trusts me.  He has no reason to fear as long as he is holding onto me and walking in my shadow. 

When I read Psalm 91, for the first time during this pandemic, I couldn't help but cry.  I thought of The Lord, My Abba Father, My protector, my leg to hold onto.  I was so thankful that even though I didn't know what the future held, He does.  I trust him. 

This time of uncertainty is hard for many people. I'm sure you may have struggled at some point during the last 15 weeks or so.  I don't know what your needs are, but rest assured that HE does.  Seek him and hold onto him. 


Rest in His shadow.



No comments:

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...