Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Grateful

Thanksgiving is always a reflection of gratitude from the past year.  One day where we intentionally give Thanks to the ONE who holds everything in his hand.  This year was different for me.

We listened to an amazing message from Pastor Steven Furtick on Sunday at Church.  He said so many awesome things, but one of the things he said was "Once your perspective changes, everything changes".  He is so right!  Our perspective was drastically changed on August 3rd.  Things that once mattered to us, don't anymore.  We also see clearer the things we do cherish most of all.  We are in the process of making some big decisions in our life- based on our family's goals, purpose, and mission statement.  Those three things were completely different 4 months ago.  They weren't ungodly or wrong, just different.  Things that were normal for us, are normal for many Christians still today.  We want to be WEIRD!  We are weird.  We are okay with that.  As our awesome pastor says in his book, "because normal isn't working".  Amen! 

Steven Also talked about Gratitude on Sunday.  He told us that "Grateful people can FIND a Blessing, ENLARGE a Blessing, or CREATE a Blessing, in almost every situation."  This is us.  We are only where we are today, because we are grateful.  We are grateful every day that our God is good, at all times.  What the enemy planned for evil that day, God turned into a huge blessing.  We have a clearer purpose.  We have our family, still safe and alive.  Even though mementos and photographs are gone, we have our memories.  We are grateful for all these things.  We are also more grateful that our home on earth is just temporary.  Even if we would have lost our lives that day, it would not be the end for us, because we know our "HOME" is in heaven with our heavenly father.  We now look at every situation differently.

Even on those days when I'm feeling down, lonely, discouraged, or even selfish, He has not forsaken me.  He loves me even when I cry in Hobby Lobby looking at Christmas Ornaments.  He is here every single step of the way.  He has never left me, nor will he ever leave me, NOT FOR A MOMENT.

Hebrews 13:5b  ..."Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."


(This is a video of a song by Meredith Andrews.  I have been writing this blog in my head for a couple days, and heard this on the way home in the car tonight.  I had to post it!)


When we sat around the table at Thanksgiving this year, it was different for me.  It was not just an outpouring of gratefulness for one moment on one day.  For me, it was a celebration of the thankfulness God has put in my heart these last 3 months. 

1Thessalonians 5:18 -- Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.


He is good. 
He is sovereign.
He will never leave me. 
I am loved.
I am grateful.



No comments:

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...