Monday, October 15, 2012

Staring

It's been 10 weeks since the fire.  People are starting to talk to us again.  That may sound weird.  For about a month, we felt like people were just staring at us wherever we went.  I'm sure people heard our story from their friend whose aunt goes to church with us, or they read my blog, or they may even be some of our closest friends.  It's like they didn't know what to say, so they said nothing.  We didn't really know what to say either, and we weren't going to start the conversation.  "So, did you hear our home burned down?"  What? 

People are starting to talk to us again.  They tell us my blog is ministering to them.  Some cry, when they see how well we are really doing, and they couldn't say anything to us before.  It's almost as if some people were grieving with us, but felt weird saying anything about how "they" were feeling. I'm not really sure if people were avoiding us, or if it was our perception.  It may be a little bit of both.  

One of my friends took me to coffee the other day to apologize.  I had no idea what on earth she could be sorry for.  She felt bad that she hadn't reached out to us since the fire.  She explained that she was dealing with our tragedy by escaping.  She said she was grieving.  She couldn't believe we escaped the fire with minutes to spare.  Then she said something that shocked me.  She said she had kept her distance because she was afraid to get closer to me, and actually loose me the next time. 

Do you wanna know what I told her?  Oh, I bet you do! 

This is what I'll tell you if you were to say that to me now:

Don't skip on relationships because you are afraid.  Love those you love, with all of your heart.  Tell people how you feel.  Thank them.  Encourage them.  Ask them how you can pray for them.  Be the kind of friend you want to have.  When your friend is feeling bad, go pick up her kids so she can rest.  If it's someones birthday, don't just send them a facebook message.  Call them.  Read books to your children and take them to the park.  Appreciate people while you have them.  Please also remember, after everything is said and done, no one's future is guaranteed.  This world is only temporary.  Today could be your last day on this earth.

This, my friends,  is why we need a relationship with our heavenly father.  This relationship needs to be nourished the most.  I certainly am not perfect - in fact, I'm far from it -  but I do know I have a deeper desire to know my savior more since the fire.  I don't want to get to the end of my life and wish I could have done more for others, spent more time in the word, or invited more people to church.  I don't want you to think I'm preaching at you, so I'll stop.  I want God to get the FULL glory from our story.  Although we are in awe of our survival and God's miracle on August 3rd, things on this earth do not matter. 



Psalm 39:5  
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
    the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Everyone is but a breath,
    even those who seem secure.  Selah.



He is so Faithful.  We are so blessed to be here and know he has a greater purpose for us here on earth.  We are closer as a family.  Our priorities have been rocked.  We are grateful.  Now, go hug your friends and family and tell them you love them.

~Rachel

No comments:

Summertime Steadiness

Is anyone else having trouble finding routine in the craziness that is summer 2020? I am a planner. Yes, I still carry around a paper planne...